Most homeowners have a budget in mind when contemplating the re-landscaping of their yard and garden, and will understandably be happy if they are able to have the work completed for less than this figure. However, price should never be your main consideration when you are choosing a Toronto landscaping company to perform this type of work: you need to make sure that the company you choose is capable of doing a good job at a good price, and will not cause more problems than they solve.
A Landscaping Company That Charges a Little More Could Be the Best Choice
Once you have gathered a few quotes together, you may well be thinking that the lowest one is the best option for you and your family. While this could be the case, it is often worth paying a little more to ensure that you avoid the following issues.
- Liability for Damages and Injuries – You will probably have seen this factor mentioned in many other articles online but it is most certainly worth repeating. It is never a good idea to hire an uninsured landscaping contractor owing to the fact that they may be unable to pay for any accidental damage to your land or property that occurs while they are working for you. If they cannot pay and there is no insurer to step in, you are the one that will be faced with all the bills.
- Lack of Local Knowledge – A newly founded firm that has just started offering landscaping services in Toronto may be considerably cheaper to hire than one that has been established for many years but they will not have the same knowledge and expertise on which to draw. A lack of local knowledge could cause them to make mistakes with planting recommendations, the way they contour your garden to cope with the heavy rainfall we often experience here, and estimates of how long it will take to excavate and move soil around. Paying more for a landscaping contractor with years of experience in the area is just good common sense.
- Endless Delays – If there is one area in which the cheapest contractors skimp more than in any other it is planning. Without proper planning, it is virtually impossible to complete a major re-landscaping project on time. By going with the least expensive option, you could be letting yourself in for months of frustration as your chosen contractor runs into one problem after another.
- Overages – A lack of experience and planning can often lead to serious overages at the end of a job. A well-established landscaping contractor will be able to accurately judge the quantity of materials they need to complete all the necessary work but one that is working as cheaply as possible in order to gain experience could seriously underestimate the quantities involved. In such a situation, you would be presented with a large bill for overages at the end of the job: something that any homeowner would prefer to avoid if at all possible.
- Future Support and Maintenance – The trouble with the cheapest contractors is that they are more likely to encounter cash flow problems that cause them to fold. While you could always look for another firm to maintain your new landscape or to make minor adjustments to it in the future, it would make your life much easier if you were able to deal with the people who did the original work.
While we are not the cheapest landscaping contractor in the GTA, we are far from the most expensive. For a professional job at competitive rates, call M.E. Contracting today.