All landscape design mistakes are easy to fix if they are spotted at the actual design stage but once they have been implemented in your yard or garden, some may be more difficult to correct than others. If you are currently wondering what you can do about the mistakes in your what should be ultra-chic, homey Toronto landscaping made by the previous owner of your home or perhaps ones you yourself have made in the past, take a look at our list of easily correctable mistakes below. With a bit of luck, the very errors you are trying to fix may be included in our list.
Landscape Design Mistakes That Are Easy to Put Right
If the mistake you are trying to put right is in the following list, you are in luck! All of these errors are relatively easy to fix.
1. Placing Plants in Inappropriate Positions – Many homeowners in Toronto and all around the world have made the mistake of placing plants that prefer shade in full sun and vice versa, as well as planting trees too close to their property’s foundations. In the case of small shrubs and flowers, it is usually a simple matter to relocate them. As far as trees are concerned, if the mistake is realized while the specimens in question are still fairly small, they can also be moved without too much difficulty. More mature trees can be removed but this will require the help of a team of experts.
2. Not Considering What You Actually Enjoy Doing Outside – An easy mistake to make is that of focusing almost exclusively on aesthetics when creating a landscape design for your yard and garden. This can result in a beautiful flower garden, for example, when what you really wanted was a spacious patio and BBQ area for entertaining friends. Fortunately, such mistakes are relatively easy to correct although you may have to hire a professional landscaping company in order to make the changes concerned. Enlarging your patio, swapping lawn space for a pool and turning a couple of flower beds into a beautiful seating area are all well within the capabilities of an experienced landscaping contractor.
3. A Confusing Mix of Colours – When buying plants for a new garden, it is very easy to get carried away and choose dozens of different colours. The end result is often a confusing mix of colours. However, given the relatively low cost of replanting in Toronto, this is a simple mistake to put right. A quick visit to your local supplier followed by a couple of hours digging in the garden will soon have your garden looking great.
4. Lack of Planning – If you simply started constructing flower beds and laying turf on a whim, you can easily rectify the resulting uncoordinated effect by hiring a local landscape design expert to draw up comprehensive plans for you and to carry out all the necessary work. While it may involve spending more money that if you were to do everything yourself, the end result should more than justify the expense in our opinion.
5. Underestimating the Cost – Homeowners who get halfway through a landscaping project and then realize it is going to cost far more than they anticipated can easily fix the problem by dropping or reducing the size of some of the more expensive components of their design, such as water features, patio areas, and outdoor constructions.
If you would like to make sure that you get your landscape design right first time or you would appreciate some professional advice on how to make the landscape no-no’s disappear, give us a call at M.E. Contracting today. To start, you can also get brilliant starter ideas to discuss with our contractors from our landscaping showroom.