When most people think of swimming pools they think of fun in the sun; and that’s the way it should be. But while everybody loves long summertime afternoons by the pool everybody also needs a break from the unremitting sun. One way to deal with excessive exposure to sunlight is to retreat to the house. But who wants to do that? A better way is to have the pool company incorporate shade right into the design of the pool area. In this post we’ll look at ways to do that.
Popular Pool Company Methods For Creating Shade
Sunshine is great but it’s also dangerous in excessive amounts so building shade into the design of your Toronto pool is one of the smartest things you can do. A good pool company will have a number of ways they can incorporate shade into the pool area. Here are just a few examples of how they might do that.
- A pergola – A pergola is a decorative structure typically used to articulate a space and add visual interest. But it’s also a great device for creating shade around the pool. A well placed pergola can create a shady area on the deck and over a portion of the pool as well. Run vines up the pergola to create a more comprehensive type of shade in a naturally beautiful way.
- Umbrellas – Umbrellas are a simple, cost-effective way to generate shade. One of the great things about umbrellas is that you can move them to adjust to the moving sun. You can also take them out of the way if you’re having friends over for an evening swim. Even if you have other ways to create shade you’ll want to have an umbrella or two standing by anyway.
- Shade Sails – Any pool company will tell you that shade sails are becoming a popular way to create shade around the pool. Shade sails create dramatic swaths of colour that criss-cross the air above the pool and generate shade both on the deck and in the pool. If they have a drawback it’s that they’re not particularly suited to windy locations.
- Retractable canopies – Retractable canopies occupy the higher end of the pool shade spectrum but there’s no denying their effectiveness. Retractable canopies typically run along tracks built into beams that extend out over the pool. The great thing about retractable canopies is the degree of control you have over the pool environment.
- Full size enclosures – Full-sized enclosures can be either retractable or fixed; though most people prefer retractable. When you activate the controls they telescope out along tracks that run by the poolside and provide you with complete coverage from the sun. Definitely a deluxe solution to the issue of too much sun but no doubt an extremely effective one.
- The house – One of the most effective methods for creating shade is to place the pool near the house in a way that takes advantage of the house’s ability to throw shade. Especially effective if you have a taller house and are able to cozy the pool up next to it. It’s also much easier to create a retractable canopy this way; one that extends directly from the home.
M.E. Contracting is the GTA’s premier pool company having installed scores of beautiful fiberglass pools for homeowners all over Toronto and beyond. Our knowledge of and experience with all other forms of backyard landscaping make us the perfect choice to create a pool area for you that will not only deliver fun by the tonne but keep you and the kids safe from too much sun in the process.