Homeowners invest hundreds of millions of dollars each year in an effort to ensure their lawn is the talk of the town. For many of them it’s a successful effort, for others not so much. So what is it that separates the great lawns from the trouble lawns? Is it possible for everyone to enjoy a lush, green lawn or are some lawns just destined by geography and climate to always come up a little short? The fact is that there may be a few locations where it will be difficult to cultivate the perfect lawn but most lawns can be better than they are if homeowners follow the simple steps we’ll lay out below. We are a Toronto’s Leading Landscaping company who have years of experience and can help you with our expertise.
5 Landscaping Company Tips for the Perfect Lawn
As every landscaping company in Toronto knows achieving the perfect lawn isn’t rocket science, but it’s not as simple as turning on the sprinklers and hoping for the best either. Here are 5 tips to follow that will help you achieve your field of dreams.
- Keep your lawnmower blades sharp: If you allow the lawnmower blades to get dull they’re going to rip and tear at the grass instead of cutting it. That’s important to note because jagged edges on the blades of grass are more likely to turn brown than properly cut, clean edges. If you’re unsure how to sharpen the blades yourself talk to your local landscaping company or lawn care centre. They’ll be able to do it for you or recommend someone who can.
- Don’t cut the grass too short: A lot of folks tend to set the lawnmower to deliver a close shave thinking they won’t have to mow as often. But cutting the grass too short can result in an unhealthy lawn and open the door to opportunistic weeds. As a general rule of thumb we recommend that you never remove more than ⅓ of the grass leaves with each mowing. That usually means you’ll have to mow once a week during the summer months.
- Water the lawn early in the day: If you’ve ever passed a golf course in the early morning you’ve likely seen the sprinklers going. That’s because golf course owners know that the morning is the best time to water the lawn. If you water at night the moisture on the blades of grass may not have a chance to evaporate and perpetually wet grass can be susceptible to certain diseases.
- Rake the lawn regularly: If the wind has been up in your area lately chances are pine cones, twigs, leaves and other types of debris have wound up on your lawn. This material can block sunlight from reaching the grass. In the autumn fallen leaves can accumulate in a heavy blanket that will need to be completely removed before it becomes part of the frozen landscape for the duration of the winter.
- Don’t forget to fertilize: When applied properly a good organic fertilizer shouldn’t harm the local ecosystem and will help your lawn develop that thick, lustrous quality everyone’s after. Many fertilizers also contain ingredients that prevent the growth of weeds, dandelions and crabgrass and will strengthen the roots and ward off pests. Talk to your local Toronto landscaping company or lawn care professional about exactly which type of fertilizer is best for your lawn.
A perfect lawn is not the impossible dream, it’s well within your reach if you follow the above steps. For more information about lawn care or to schedule regular landscape maintenance for your Toronto home call the landscaping company more people in the Greater Toronto Area trust than any other: M.E. Contracting.