Watering the lawn and other flora on your Toronto property can sometimes be a welcome diversion from the stress and strain of daily life. At other times though it can be more burden than blessing; intruding on your busy schedule or your well-deserved weekend off. You always have the option of hiring a local kid to do it for you but what if they fail to show up and your lawn starts turning a lovely shade of brown? Or they show up and overwater things causing you to have to replant grass and flower beds? Fortunately there’s a third route you can take besides doing it yourself or hiring someone to do it for you. And that is to install a sprinkler system.
To Sprinkle or Not to Sprinkle?
Sprinkler systems can take the work and worry out of caring for your beautiful and costly landscaping and with new water conservation technologies built in they can also help you water your lawn, shrubs and flowers more efficiently and effectively than if you were doing it yourself. Still, there are things to mull over before taking the leap and installing a sprinkler system on your property and below we’ll take a look at those considerations.
- Cost – Let’s get this out of the way right off the top because as a Toronto landscaping company we’ve heard plenty of homeowners say they would have liked to install a sprinkler system but couldn’t afford the $20,000 or $30,000 that it costs to do so. Where people are coming up with these numbers is a bit of a mystery but we’re here to tell you the actual costs is typically nothing like that. Even if you have a full acre of land your costs will almost never exceed $8,000 to $10,000 (as of this writing) and will typically be far less than that.
- Convenience – No matter whether you believe that watering the yard is a joy or a chore there’s no denying that a well-designed sprinkler system is much simpler, faster and more convenient than having to get out in the yard and water everything with a hose.
- Types of Sprinkler Systems – When you’re contemplating whether to install a sprinkler system you should know about the different types of sprinklers available to you. They include:
- Pop-ups – Pop-up sprinklers have heads that remain hidden underground until it’s time for them to emerge from their hiding place and go to work. Pop-ups take three basic forms: sprayers, rotors and impact sprinklers. With sprayers a fine 360 degree mist is sent out as far as 15 feet. With rotors the sprinkler head fires water like a hose as it rotates up to 360 degrees. Impact sprinklers are similar to rotors except that there is a spring-loaded arm that is repeatedly driven into the stream of water. This arm disrupts the smooth stream of water allowing for more complete and even coverage of the ground out to the limits of the stream. If you’ve ever been on a golf course early in the morning you’ve seen pop-up sprinklers in action.
- The Drip System – Drip irrigation sprinkler system is primarily used in flower beds. With a drip system a hose winds its way through a flower bed or garden. There is a terminal near each plant that needs watering and the water, as the name implies, drips from the terminal onto the ground around the plant. While effective drip systems are prone to clogging and some consider them unsightly.
- The Mist System – The mist system is similar in setup to the drip system except the terminal head is of a different configuration; one that allows for a gentle mist to envelop the target plant. Like the drip system they are effective on a limited scale but the above ground tubing involved is not to everyone’s liking.
Let a Toronto Landscaping Company Program Your Sprinkler System
The Toronto landscaping company you choose to install your sprinkler system will know how to automate the system for you in order to accommodate the various types of grasses, flowers, shrubs and more scattered around the property. In addition, should any water restrictions be imposed by the community in which you’re located the landscaping company will be fully versed on them and ensure your sprinkler system is in full compliance.
Other Things to Keep in Mind
- You’ll want your sprinkler system to include a soil moisture sensor in order to ensure the ground does not become too saturated during rainy periods.
- Ideally your sprinkler system should be zonal with each zone independently programmable to take account of different types of flora.
- You should arrange for the Toronto landscaping company to perform regular maintenance checks on the system in order to ensure optimal performance.
- If you’re thinking of making changes to the number and/or type of vegetation in your yard make sure you discuss it with the landscaping company that maintains the system so that they can make any necessary adjustments to the programming.
- Remember: In order to get the most from your sprinkler system make sure you hire a qualified Toronto landscaping company to design and install it for you.
The more closely you work with a qualified landscaping contractor when designing and implementing a sprinkler system the faster it will be up and running and the better it will work. It’s really as simple as that.
How M.E.Contracting will help you!
Some folks don’t mind getting their hands dirty in the yard. They enjoy getting outside on the weekend to water the lawn and flowers with the hose. Others however either don’t have the time or the inclination. If you are the latter type of person but still want to ensure your beautifully landscaped property stays beautiful installing an automated sprinkler system can be the answer to your problems. Talk to M.E.Contracting about having sprinklers installed in your yard and let the most experienced and trusted Toronto landscaping company devise a system for you that fits your landscaping needs to a T.