The varieties of flagstone paving available to home renovators are endless. In fact, it may seem like a daunting task to choose a material that will suit your needs. However, if you take it one step at a time, you’ll see just how easy it is to determine what you want. The two most important steps to take are:
- Contacting a reputable contractor – This is where M.E Contracting can be extremely beneficial. We can guide you through the process and offer expert advice before performing a professional installation that will stand the test of time.
- Determining a budget – When you approach us with a budget, we can assist you within those boundaries to the best of our ability. In this way, you can extract the most out of what you can spend.
So What Is Flagstone?
Flagstone is one of the many kinds of paving options that you will be faced with on your perfect paving quest. It is a natural material made up of sedimentary stone that is split into “tile-like” layers in order for it to be easily laid.
Flagstone Paving and Its Most Common Application
Due to flagstone having a beautifully natural look and a naturally durable strength, it is most commonly used outdoors. There is a good chance that you have noted flagstone on or used it for:
- Walkways and pathways
- Pool edging
- Garden feature paving
However, having said so, flagstone is also a gorgeous option for indoors if your home has an old-world, rustic décor theme or even if you want to create some contrast and drama in a relatively contemporary home.
Pros That Come With Using Flagstone
All types of paving have their benefits. But when it comes to flagstone paving, there is very little that will disappoint.
- Environmentally friendly – Now more than ever, we have to be highly aware of how our choices affect the environment. Flagstone is a naturally occurring sedimentary stone that is quarried for construction use. This means that besides quarrying and cutting, there are no major environmentally hazardous manufacturing processes taking place for its use. It is also naturally occurring and sustainable.
- Strength and durability – Chips, cracks, and breakages are highly unlikely due to regular force and daily treading. Also, natural elements are a breeze for flagstone. It is produced naturally, taking the burden of heat, wind, and rain out in relatively hostile environments.
- Minimal maintenance – This is particularly true for flagstone paving applied outdoors. Flagstone is often covered with a type of sealant that will further protect it and also prevent excess dirt and grime sticking to it. There is little need to wash it or sweep it regularly. This is primarily true because of its natural aesthetic, which is more forgiving when it comes to cleanliness.
- Non-slip – Because of the texture of flagstone, it allows for better grip when treading. This is particularly beneficial around the garden and pool when it comes to children and pets running around.
- Color and cuts – Flagstone comes in a variety of natural colors that are easy to locate. Shades of peach, orange, yellow, brown, beige, and grey are very common; however, even blues and greens can be found. Besides color, you can also have your flagstone cut into irregular shapes that create a rustic mosaic look or you can choose to have more uniform squares.
At M.E. Contracting, we are the pros when it comes to flagstone paving! Contact us today to book a free consultation and we will set you well on your way to creating beautiful flagstone paving spaces that complement your home and suit your lifestyle.